Historic Markers Across Georgia



Founding of Fort Gaines (Side 2)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Ga 39 N of Fort Gaines at East Bank Area, Lake W. F. George
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 38.034    W 085° 2.643
  31.6339    -85.04405
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8W24
Founding of Fort Gaines (Side 2) Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

A military garrison, later named Fort Gaines, was established on the Chattahoochee River in 1814 to patrol the buffer against the British and hostile Indians created by the land ceded in the Treaty of Fort Jackson. Benjamin Hawkins, venerable Indian agent to the southern tribes, and troops commanded by Coweta Chief William McIntosh had the task of enforcing General jackson´s prohibition of any Indian entering the newly acquired territory. His orders were that ´all persons carrying and bringing lies´ to the British would be shot. He believed Oketeyeconne and Hitchiti towns near here were havens for spies.

ERECTED BY THE

HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE

FORT GAINES HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1939



 
Notes:

1814 Boundary (Side 1)

 

030-A3