Historic Markers Across Georgia



Mt. Gilead Baptist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Cotton Hill Rd., Fort Gaines
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 40.715    W 085° 00.533
  31.67858333    -85.00888333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMANRK
Mt. Gilead Baptist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This church was constituted on July 21, 1822, under the leadership of the Reverend Jim Davis, when Fort Gaines was part of Early County. Land for the church was donated and deeded by J. Hugh Edge. The first building, which also served as a schoolhouse, was constructed of hand-hewn logs. In 1839, Mt. Gilead joined the Bethel Baptist Association in Americus, Georgia. Included on the five acre church property is a cemetery with the earliest grave dating from 1865. A baptismal pool, inscribed with the date of 1828, is located across the road from the present church building and is still being used.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Mt. Gilead Baptist Church, 2002.



Mt. Gilead Baptist Church
Mt. Gilead Baptist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

030-A4