Historic Markers Across Georgia



New Lowell United Methodist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: located at the church, CR 129 2.6 mi. W of Ga. 39, 12 miles N of Ft. Gaines
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 43.812    W 085° 5.508
  31.7302    -85.0918
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMANRJ
New Lowell United Methodist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

[Side 1]
The area was settled about 1820 along the falls of Pataula Creek in a community knows as Lowell. The falls provided water power for several commercial enterprises including a new mill, cotton gin and a grist mill. The community was later known as Garfield. Grades one through ten attended school in the schoolhouse which was built circa 1890. Classes were for 10-25 children who performed housekeeping and janitorial duties as well as school work. The last class was held in1921. The schoolhouse was also used as a center for social functions and as a place of worship. About 1900 the community became known as Gilbert and later as Credille´s Mill.

[Side 2]
Methodist Episcopal Church worship services were conducted in this area during the early 1840´s in a brush arbor. The original church, known as Lowell, was destroyed by fire during the War Between the States. From 1865 to 1890 the Methodists and Baptists worshiped together at Union Church at Midway and later at Salem Church. The present church was built in 1900 from virgin pine and the interior still contains the original pews, pulpit and altar rail. On January 9, 1901.
The church was deeded as a place of worship by W. T Credille. The Trustees were E. A. Standley, E. D. Griffin and J. A. Wash. The church became a charge of the Fort Gaines Circuit July 22, 1903.
ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE NEW LOWELL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 1980



New Lowell United Methodist Church
New Lowell United Methodist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

030-A5