Historic Markers Across Georgia



The 1836 Fort



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Off Ga 39 on the bluff overlooking the river in Fort Gaines
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 31° 36.357    W 085° 3.29
  31.60595    -85.05483
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBVAG
The 1836 Fort Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In May of 1836 the 88th Regiment of the Georgia Militia built a small fort in anticipation of an attack by the Creek Indians. The Steamer Georgian had arrived crowded with women and children fleeing from the Indian uprising at Roanoke upriver. The Steamer, Anna Calhoun was pressed for 5,000 pounds of bacon and 8 barrels of flour in order to feed the refugees and militia.
The uprising was quelled before the fighting reached Fort Gaines. This was one of the last major insurgences of the Creeks before their removal to the West.



 

 

030-A9