Historic Markers Across Georgia



Renfroe's Plantation



Marker ID: GHM 031-16
Location: Ga 85 at Ga 138, south of Riverdale
County: Clayton
Coordinates: N 33° 33.031    W 084° 24.900
  33.550516    -84.415
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2EW3
Renfroe's Plantation Marker  



Text:

The John Renfroe house, which stood near this crossroads, marked the right flank of Federal troops moving eastward toward the Macon R. R. (Central of Georgia) in August 1864.

It was the converging point of the 15th, 16th, & 17th corps of the Army of the Tennessee, commanded by Maj. Gen. O. O. Howard.

These troops, marching from Shadnor Church & Fairburn, arrived here mid-afternoon on the 30th, but finding no water, moved on E. to the Flint River via the direct Jonesboro rd. where, together with Kilpatrick´s cavalry, they forced the river crossings under Confederate fire & secured positions just west of the town.

GHM 031-16 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1956



 

 

031-16