Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of Couch House



Marker ID: GHM 031-17
Location: Ga 139 (Church St) between King and Adams, Sts, Riverdale
County: Clayton
Coordinates: N 33° 34.808    W 084° 24.962
  33.580133    -84.41603
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM69XD
Site of Couch House  Marker  



Text:

Because of its location at the center of Federal forces moving toward the Macon R. R. & Jonesboro, in Aug. 1864, the Drew Couch house, a long structure which stood at this site, was designated headquarters by the high command. Here, Generals Sherman & Thomas transmitted & received dispatches & maneuvering forces were posted in relation to the house as a landmark. Orders & reports cite the house 25 times in Official Records. From this sector the 14th A. C., Army of the Cumberland, moved to the battlefield of Jonesboro, Sept. 1. Site of the house was verified by B. F. Hancock, who, as a lad of 9 yrs. Saw Gen. Sherman here, Aug. 31.

GHM 031-17 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

031-17