Historic Markers Across Georgia



Thames House



Marker ID: GHM 031-18
Location: Clark Howell Rd, west of Ga 85
County: Clayton
Coordinates: N 33° 36.934    W 084° 24.233
  33.615566    -84.40388
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM40JX
Thames House  Marker  



Text:

Res. of Wm. Thames (1796-1892) pioneer citizen of Clayton, formerly Henry, County; veteran of the War of 1812; owner of a saw & grist mill on Flint River; pastor of Tanner´s Church.

Aug. 31, 1864. Troops of the Federal 23rd & 4th A. C., marching east from Red Oak, passed this house enroute to the Macon & Western (now the C. of Ga. R. R.) which was seized at points above & below Quick Station (Forest Park). This move severed the last of the railroads entering Atlanta & forced Gen. Hood [CS] to abandon the city -- night of Sept. 1st. The seizure of the R. R. was coincident with the first of the two battles in Hardee´s [CS] defense of Jonesboro.

GHM 031-18 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

031-18