Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgia Militia at Lovejoy's Station



Marker ID: GHM 031-19
Location: US 41 just below Talmadge Rd, Lovejoy
County: Clayton
Coordinates: N 33° 25.832    W 084° 19.232
  33.430533    -84.32053
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WM3HZK
Georgia Militia at Lovejoy's Station Marker  



Text:

On Oct. 12, 1864, Maj. Gen. G.W. Smith, CSA (Street Commissioner, New York City, 1858-61), assembled a force of militia at Lovejoy´s Station (0.5 mile NE) to support Iverson´s division of Wheeler´s cavalry corps, which was picketing the roads south from Atlanta in anticipation of a movement by Gen. Sherman´s army toward Macon and Savannah. Gen. Smith´s force consisted of 2800 infantry of the 1st Division, Georgia Militia, 3 batteries, and about 250 local reserve cavalry.

On Nov. 15th, Gen. Sherman began his March to the Sea. The leading element of his Right Wing -- the 15th Corps, Maj. Gen. P.J. Osterhaus, USA -- marched from White Hall (West End) toward Jonesboro (6 miles N), apparently enroute to Macon via Jonesboro and Lovejoy´s Station. Its right was covered by Kilpatrick´s cavalry division on roads to the west. At Morrow´s Station (4 miles N of Jonesboro) the 15th Corps turned SE toward Stockbridge and McDonough. Kilpatrick´s cavalry closed on Jonesboro and drove Iverson´s smaller command toward Lovejoy´s Station.

His position turned, Gen. Smith withdrew his force to Griffin (13 miles S), a fortified hospital center, to cover that point and to keep his force between Macon and the Union advance.

GHM 031-19 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

031-19