Historic Markers Across Georgia



Battlefield Landmark



Marker ID: GHM 031-27
Location: W side of US 41 between Robert E Lee Parkway & Dixon Rd
County: Clayton
Coordinates: N 33° 31.529    W 084° 21.811
  33.525483    -84.36351
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM40N9
Battlefield Landmark  Marker  



Text:

One of the few natural landmarks of the battle fought here Aug. 31, 1864, is the deep gully S. of marker-- the bed of a small stream flowing W. to Flint River. N. of, & parallel to it was the refused line of Harrow´s div. of the 15th, prolonged by Rice´s brigade (Corse´s div.), 16th A.C. (USA) facing S. & extending W. to the river. Cleburne´s, Maney´s & Bate´s divs., Hardee´s A.C. (CSA) attacked the refused line from south of the gully, only to find it a fatal obstacle to a concerted assault on the intrenched [sic] lines & artillery of Harrow & Rice. Hardee´s attack was the signal for advance of S.D. Lee´s A.C. on the 15th corps front facing Jonesboro.

GHM 031-27 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



 

 

031-27