Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Warren House



Marker ID: GHM 031-3
Location: Ga 54 at Mimosa Dr, northwest Jonesboro
County: Clayton
Coordinates: N 33° 31.965    W 084° 21.211
  33.53275    -84.35351
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM13W1
The Warren House  Marker  



Text:

"During the War Between the States, on this property to the north and west of this house was fought a major part of the Battle of Jonesboro, August 31st and September 1st,1864. The battle was a struggle to capture the railroad to cut off supplies to Atlanta from the south. This house, used as headquarters and a hospital during the battle by the 52nd Illinois Regiment, was built by G.L. Warren in 1840. For many years, a bullet lodged in the wall and cannonballs in the yard were evidence of the proximity of heavy fighting."

GHM 031-03 - GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION - 1955



 

 

031-3