Historic Markers Across Georgia



Clayton County



Marker ID: GHM 031-7
Location: On McDonough Street and King Street at the old courthouse, Jonesboro, GA.
County: Clayton
Coordinates: N 33° 31.358    W 084° 21.241
  33.522633    -84.35401
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2E92
Clayton County  Marker  



Text:

Clayton County was created by Act of Nov. 30, 1858 from Fayette and Henry Counties. It was named for Augustine Smith Clayton, born at Fredericksburg, Va., Nov. 27, 1783, who moved to Georgia before 1800. A graduate of the U. of Ga., he was a lawyer, legislator, judge. During two terms in Congress he opposed tariff and U.S. bank measures. He died in Athens, June 21, 1839. First officers of Clayton County, commissioned Jan. 13, 1859, were: Robert K. Holliday, Clk. Sup. Ct.; A.J. Hayes, Clk. Inf. Ct.; James McConnell, Ord; William Gunter, Tax Rec.; Jefferson Kirkland, Tax Col.; B.W. Bonner, Surveyor; John K. Landers, Coroner; J.H. Waldrop, Sheriff.

GHM 031-7A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 
Notes:

The marker was originally number 031-7A, the A was recovered after the marker was cleaned and repainted.

 

031-7