Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Extended Line



Marker ID: GHM 031-7B
Location: Ga 85 SB .4 miles S of Atlanta South Pkwy 1/4 mile N of Lees Mill Rd.
County: Clayton
Coordinates: N 33° 36.475    W 084° 24.229
  33.60791666    -84.40381666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8917
The Extended Line  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The Federals, having lifted siege operations N. & W. of Atlanta Aug. 25, moved on the A. & W.P. R.R. below East Point & by the 29th began its destruction. In an effort to protect the M. & W. (Central of Georgia ) R.R., Hardy´s A.C. [C] built and occupied , Aug 30, a line extending from East Point to Morrow´s & Thames mills.

Here the line ran E. to the R.R. near Rough and ready where Hardee´s command post was alerted to observe Federal movements on Jonesboro.

This extended line, occupied but a day, was abandoned that night by Hardee´s three divisions - Haney´s, Cleburne´s & Brown´s - & with S.D. Lee´s A.C. from Atlanta they marched to Jonesboro.

031-7B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

031-7B