Historic Markers Across Georgia



Heritage Place - 1981



Marker ID:  
Location: on west side of RR at N. McDonough and Ga 138 in Jonesboro
County: Clayton
Coordinates: N 33° 31.414    W 084° 21.267
  33.523566    -84.35445
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2E8X
Heritage Place - 1981  Marker  



Text:

Historic Jonesboro, named in honor of Samuel Goode Jones in 1845, was founded in 1823 as Leaksville. Later Clayton County was created by the Act of November 30, 1858 from Fayette and Henry Counties, and Jonesboro became the County Seat.

The town was rebuilt in 1864 after being razed by Sherman´s troops on their March to the Sea. Later the area was immortalized in Margaret Mitchell´s epic, "Gone With The Wind".



 

 

031-A1