Historic Markers Across Georgia



Wheeler Drive



Marker ID: GHM 031-AGD-4
Location: Wheeler Drive in the triangle at Hood Avenue, Fort Gillem
County: Clayton
Coordinates: N 33° 37.657    W 084° 18.899
  33.627616    -84.31498
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNRTB
Wheeler Drive  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Named in honor of Maj. General Joseph Wheeler (USMA 1859), commander of the 2nd Cavalry Corps, Army of Tennessee, CSA. A renowned raider, he guarded the flanks of the Confederate Army, with headquarters near present Depot site, covering the Confederate retreat. A member of Congress 1881-1883 and 1885-1900, he was a Major General U. S. Vols. 1898, Spanish American War and the Philippine Insurrection and was appointed Brig. General, USA. He was one of the nation´s great Cavalry leaders.

Born at Augusta, Georgia, September 10, 1836. Died January 25, 1906.

GHM 031-AGD-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957




Wheeler Drive
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

At Fort Gillem, access is restricted. Fort Gillem, is now owned by the City of Forest Park.

 

031-AGD-4