Historic Markers Across Georgia



Clinch Court House



Marker ID: GHM 032-1
Location: Courthouse in Homerville
County: Clinch
Coordinates: N 31° 2.196    W 082° 44.928
  31.0366    -82.7488
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBT31
Clinch Court House  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Clinch County was created by an Act of the Legislature approved Feb. 14, 1850 out of lands formerly in Lowndes and Ware Counties and was named for General Duncan L. Clinch, a hero of the War of 1812 and the Indian wars. At the first election held in April, 1850, J.C. Kirkland was elected clerk of the Superior and Inferior Courts; Charles Cowart, sheriff; Benjamin Cornelius, tax receiver; Ezekiel J. Sirmans, tax collector, David J. Blackburn, surveyor; Joseph L. Rogers, coroner; David Johnson, Hiram Sears and Manning Smith, justices of the Inferior Court.

GHM 032-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953



Clinch Court House
Clinch Court House
Photo by Ken Moser



 

032-1