Historic Markers Across Georgia



Magnolia



Marker ID: GHM 032-2
Location: Ga 89 about 8 miles south of Homerville, GA
County: Clinch
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The site of Magnolia, first county site of Clinch County, is located four miles west of here. When the county was created in 1850 there was no existing town within its limits so the Inferior Court was empowered to fix a site, acquire land and layout a town. Magnolia was incorporated in 1852 and county business was transacted there until 1860. Then, after the railroad was built, Homerville became the county site. By 1870 the site of Magnolia had become a farm, owned by David O'Quin, ante bellum Clerk of Court. His home, formerly a public inn and the last building in Magnolia, was destroyed in a forest fire a number of years ago.


Source: Georgia Historical Markers; by Carroll Proctor Scruggs; Bay Tree Grove publishing, 1973; page 129