Historic Markers Across Georgia



Due West Community



Marker ID: GHM 033-2
Location: At Gilgal Church on Kenesaw-Due West Rd east of Due West
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 58.200    W 084° 39.813
  33.97    -84.66355
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2YB8
Due West Community  Marker  



Text:

Site of Gilgal Primitive Baptist Church, a long structure and prominent landmark during military operations, June 5-17, 1864, in which church was destroyed.

Cleburne´s Div., Confederate, was posted at the Ch., the left of Johnston´s line [CS] after the withdrawal of Polk´s corps [CS] from Lost Mtn., June 9. Confronting Cleburne were the 23d A. C. and Butterfield´s (3d) Div., 20th A. C. [US]

Due to pressure on his extended front, Johnston swung Hardee´s Corps [CS] back to the Mud Creek line E. of Sandtown Rd., June 16.

033-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1952



 

 

033-002