Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lost Mountain Cross-Roads



Marker ID: GHM 033-3
Location: Ga 120 at Ga 176 junction at Lost Mountain community
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 56.446    W 084° 42.184
  33.940766    -84.70306
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQ3T
Lost Mountain Cross-Roads  Marker  



Text:

On May 23-24, 1864, Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk´s Corps [CS] marched from Allatoona, Bartow Co., to Dallas, Paulding Co., passing Lost Mountain Post Office.

On June 4-5, Polk´s Corps withdrew from the Dallas-New Hope front to Lost Mtn., the position here being the Left Flank of Johnston´s first Kennesaw Line.

On the 9th, Polk´s corps was shifted eastward to the vicinity of New Salem Church north of the Burnt Hickory Rd., where it formed the center of the line. This shift was a necessary move in the extension of Johnston´s Line eastward of the State R.R., because of the arrival of the Federal 17th Corps on his right flank.

033-3 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1985



 

 

033-003