Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Sandtown Road



Marker ID: GHM 033-4
Location: On Ga 120 at Due West Road
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 57.253    W 084° 39.201
  33.954216    -84.65335
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM33E4
Old Sandtown Road  Marker  



Text:

1.5 Mi. N.W. is the site of old Gilgal Primitive Baptist Ch. (at Due West) -- a landmark of military operations. June 5-17, 1864.

S.E. along this road Cleburne´s div. of Hardee´s Corps [CS] withdrew from Gilgal to old Marietta Rd. S. of the Darby house, turning E. to ridge beyond Mud Cr.,

June 16.

Schofield´s 23d Corps [US] marched S. on this rd. from Gilgal to the Moss house (FLOYD STATION) June 17 - July 2, -- at which time it was the right flank of Sherman´s forces on Kennesaw front.

GHM 033-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1952



 

 

033-004