Historic Markers Across Georgia



Camp McDonald



Marker ID: GHM 033-35B
Location: West side of US 41 about 100 yards north of Dobbs Drive
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 34° 01.094    W 084° 37.137
  34.01823333    -84.61895
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM74ER
Camp McDonald  Marker  



Text:

To the east were the parade grounds and tents of Camp McDonald, established by Governor Joseph E. Brown, June 1861, to train citizens for the defense of the Confederacy. Here Phillips Legion, and other Georgia units trained, then rendered valiant service to the southern cause.

The camp closed in the late fall of 1861 but reopened in 1862 and 1863 to train more troops for the Confederacy. Sham battles and parades here attracted large and appreciative audiences.

033-35B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953



 

 

033-035B