Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site-Lacy Hotel



Marker ID: GHM 033-41
Location: Ga 293 in Kennesaw
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 34° 01.421    W 084° 36.910
  34.023683    -84.61516
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMN4R
Site-Lacy Hotel  Marker  



Text:

Eastward across R. R. stood the 2-story frame hotel, leased by George M. Lacy in 1859 -- an eating house for passengers on the State-owned railway until June 9, 1864, at which time the Federal forces occupied Big Shanty.

April 12, 1862, the Andrews Raiders [US] seized the locomotive "General" while train crew & passengers were breakfasting at the hotel.

Fortified by a stockade, it housed a Federal garrison from June 9 to Oct. 3, 1864, when it was recaptured by Confederate forces. Reoccupied by Federal troops it was maintained as a R. R. blockhouse until abandoned & burned by them, Nov. 14.

033-41 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1954



 

 

033-041