Historic Markers Across Georgia



Johnston's Line East of Kennesaw



Marker ID: GHM 033-51
Location: North side of Old Hwy 41 east of the intersection with Hames Rd, Marietta, GA.
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 58.856    W 084° 33.965
  33.980933    -84.56608
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM33DR
Johnston's Line East of Kennesaw Marker  



Text:

A point on the intrenched line of Loring´s (formerly Polk´s) A.C., [CS] which extended from the mtn. down its E. slope to the Bell´s Ferry Rd. This sector was held by Featherston´s div. -- the rt. of the corps, Hood´s A.C. [CS] prolonged the line E. beyond the Canton Rd., where Wheeler´s cav. [CS] was posted. June 21, Featherston extended E. to occupy the line vacated by Hood´s A.C. when it was shifted to the left of the line below Kennesaw, on Powder Springs road.

June 27. Featherston & Wheeler withstood a spirited attack by the 17th A.C., which advanced S. from the Brushy Mountain area.

GHM 033-51 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

033-051