Historic Markers Across Georgia



Federal Troops Occupy Marietta 1864



Marker ID: GHM 033-54
Location: Ga 120 in parking lot just east of Burnt Hickory Road
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 57.140    W 084° 34.655
  33.952333    -84.57758
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2AV6
Federal Troops Occupy Marietta 1864  Marker  



Text:

The 23d A.C. [US] seized a position at Moss´ house (at Floyd Station), lower Sandtown Rd., July 1 -- nearer Chattahoochee River than Johnston´s Kennesaw line [CS], whereupon he withdrew his army, via Marietta, to his Smyrna - Ruff´s Mill line, 6 mi. S., during the night, July 2-3.

Pursuit followed; two divs. of Logan´s 15th A.C. [US] (Osterhaus & Harrow) were sent via Burnt Hickory & Dallas rds. to occupy Marietta. Being replaced, they marched, 9 A.M. July 4, via Powder Springs Rd. & the Cheney house to the lower Sandtown Rd. where they joined the rest of McPherson´s Army of the Tennessee [US].

033-54 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

033-054