Historic Markers Across Georgia



Turner's, Howell's Baker's & Sandtown Ferries



Marker ID: GHM 033-66
Location: Ga 139 just southeast of US 78 in Mableton
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 49.044    W 084° 34.537
  33.8174    -84.57561
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2GFP
Turner's, Howell's Baker's & Sandtown Ferries Marker  



Text:

This, the old Sandtown Road was the route of McPherson´s Army of the Tennessee [US], south to the Mitchell house, July 5, 1864.

From Mitchell´s, an old road ran east to the Chattahoochee River at Turner´s Ferry, most of its course being U.S. Highway 78. South of Mitchell´s, the E. fork (State Highway 139) leads to Howell´s Ferry; the W. fork to Baker´s & Sandtown Ferries.

From Mitchell´s, McPherson sent detachments to these crossings to threaten the left & rear of Johnston´s forces [CS] at the RIVER LINE.

033-66 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

033-066