Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Mitchell House



Marker ID: GHM 033-67
Location: Ga 139 southeast of Mableton (at Old Alabama Road)
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 48.673    W 084° 34.313
  33.811216    -84.57188
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM45BD
The Mitchell House  Marker  



Text:

Ante-bellum res. of Wiley Martin Mitchell
1800 - 1857

Cited in Official Records of the Atlanta Campaign, 1864, as the "Widow Mitchell" house. A key position of the Federal right wing in military operations on the Sandtown rd. during the retreat of Johnston´s forces S. from Kennesaw to the Chattahoochee River. McPherson´s Army of the Tennessee [US] occupied this intersection of the Sandtown & Turner´s Ferry roads, July 5-9. From this strategic position, demonstrations made toward crossings at & below Turner´s Ferry, signified an intention to outflank Johnston´s River line [CS].

033-67 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

033-067