Historic Markers Across Georgia



Battle of Smyrna



Marker ID: GHM 033-77
Location: Memorial Park on Atlanta Road, Smyrna
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 52.977    W 084° 30.829
  33.88295    -84.51381
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2FGE
Battle of Smyrna  Marker  



Text:

July 3, 1864. Gen. J. E. Johnston´s army [CS] withdrew from Kennesaw Mtn. & occupied a double line of field-works which crossed the R. R. at old Smyrna Camp Ground, facing N. W. Loring´s A. C. was on the rt. (N. E. of R. R.); Hardee´s, at center; Hood´s on left, near Ruff´s Mill, Nickajack Cr.

July 4. The 4th A. C. [US], (E. of R. R.), attacked the Confederate right to ascertain strength of the position; it was found impregnable. A similar attack on the left near Ruff´s Mill was alike ineffective. Being outflanked, Johnston withdrew to his River Line that night.

July 6. The 23d A. C. [US], moving from Ruff´s Mill to Soap Creek, camped just E. of the R. R.

033-77 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

033-077