Historic Markers Across Georgia



The 4th Corps at Vining's Station



Marker ID: GHM 033-83
Location: Paces Ferry Rd at the old RR station, Vinings
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 51.958    W 084° 28.104
  33.865966    -84.4684
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM23RN
The 4th Corps at Vining's Station Marker  



Text:

June 5, 1864*. When Johnston´s army [CS] withdrew from Smyrna to the river, Howard´s 4th A. C., and Baird´s div. (14th A.C.), [US] via highway and R. R. occupied Vining´s. Baird´s troops kept on down the R. R. until halted by Johnston´s River Line. 4th A.C. troops pursued the Confederate wagontrains, escorted by Wheeler´s Cav., toward the pontoon bridge at Pace´s Ferry where they crossed the river. Morgan´s 7th Ind. Battery [US] shelled the column from Vining´s Hill.

Also, from this eminence, Generals Sherman, Thomas and Baird, had their first view of Atlanta, across the Chattahoochee, 9.5 mi. S. E.

033-83 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1988



 
Notes:

*Note: The date shown on this marker is incorrect. It should be July 5.

 

033-083