Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site: Hardy Pace's Res., Howard's Headquarters



Marker ID: GHM 033-84
Location: At the house on Paces Mill Road, Vinings
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 52.003    W 084° 27.874
  33.866716    -84.46456
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM23RT
Site: Hardy Pace's Res., Howard's Headquarters Marker  



Text:

Hardy Pace (1785-1864), operated the Chattahoochee River ferry at site of bridge where Pace´s Ferry rd. crosses. Federal forces occupied Vining´s Station, July 5-17, 1864, while preparing to cross at Pace´s & Power´s for the move on Atlanta. Gen. O. O. Howard, 4th A. C., had headquarters at the Pace res., July 5-10. Vining´s temporary terminal of the R. R. , was the subsistence & ammunition dump of the Federal army during the siege & capture of Atlanta. Wounded from the Atlanta front were sent to Vining´s where the Pace house was used as a hospital ­ later, destroyed by fire.

033-84 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

033-084