Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Cemetery



Marker ID: GHM 033-107
Location: Powder Springs Rd at Confederate Cemetery, Marietta
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 56.816    W 084° 33.010
  33.946933    -84.55016
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1W9V
Confederate Cemetery  Marker  



Text:

3,000 Confederate dead from every southern state are buried in this cemetery. First established for [CS] soldiers killed in a railroad collision in 1863, it became the resting place for dead from nearby battlefields. In 1866, under the direction of Miss Mary J. Green and Mrs. Charles J. Williams of the Ga. mem. Assn., bodies were moved here from the Chickamauga area. Land for the cemetery was given by Mrs. Jane Glover, Ann Moyer and other citizens of Marietta. A cannon, which served Ga. Military Inst. from 1852 to 1864, was used by the Confederate army, captured by Sherman´s forces, held as a trophy of war until 1910, and then placed in this cemetery.

033-106 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

033-107a