Historic Markers Across Georgia



Clem Greene Schoolhouse



Marker ID: GHM 060-115
Location: Lost Parents Building, Six Flags Park (relocated)
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 46.141    W 084° 32.973
  33.769016    -84.54955
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Clem Greene (1829-1889), First Lieut., Cobb´s Cavalry (1861-1865), a stern, firm man, built the first schoolhouse in Fulton County on his plantation in 1857. A scholar, he was the first teacher. His original plan was to educate his children, his brother William´s children and those of his tenants. Later, he included pupils from Lick Skillet (Adamsville) for five cents each per day. Some walked five miles to attend its classes. This, a replica of the original schoolhouse, built on his plantation, is preserved by the Clem Greene Pioneer School Club, Inc., Mrs. W. C. Dameron, organizer and first president.

60-115 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

033-115