Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lemon St. Grammar and High School



Marker ID:  
Location: 350 Lemon St., Marietta GA
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 57.314    W 084° 32.521
  33.95523333    -84.54201666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGD8D
Lemon St. Grammar and High School Marker  



Text:

The Lemon Street Grammar School opened in 1894. The original wooden structure was funded by Marietta's school board, and designed to educate Negro students. The high school was built nearby in 1930 at urging of Ursula Jenkins. Professor M. J. Woods became principal of both schools in 1929 and led the high school until 1962. Lemon Street and Marietta High Schools merged in 1967 and the Lemon Street building was demolished. The new grammar school was built at the direction of city council in 1951 and operated as a school until 1971.



 

Lemon St. Grammar and High School

Notes:

Erected 2012 by The city of Marietta, GA and the Lemon Street Heritage Group.

 

033-A23