|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Georgia
Gantt House C. 1880
John D. Gantt came to Cobb County in the 1850s with his parents and siblings, and married in 1858. Although the family´s farm was destroyed during the Civil War, they rebuilt and continued to acquire land. Years later, the family built this house, which featured 6 rooms, 2 porches and 4 fireplaces. After John´s passing in 1903, the property remained in the Gantt family. John´s son Jasper eventually became sole owner and in 1922 owned approximately 195 acres. Jasper died in 1937 without heirs. The land including the house was soled in 1950, but the vast majority of the estate was eventually developed into the surrounding subdivisions.
Cobb County Historic Preservation Commission - Source Information