Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Reversed Trench



Marker ID: Cobb 
Location: 3524 Maryhill lane in Woodbridge Development off Hamilton Rd
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 58.604    W 084° 39.393
  33.976733    -84.65655
Waymark: WM450H
The Reversed Trench  Marker  



Text:

The Reversed Trench
Pine Knob Battle

Constructed and manned by Confederate infantry on June 15, 1864 the location of this trench enabled the southerners to deliver a deadly flank fire into the right of Geary´s division (20th Army Corps) as it approached the principal line of Confederate defense near what is now the intersection of Hamilton and Kennesaw-Due West roads. Later, arrival of Williams´ Federal division in this vicinity forced the Confederates to abandon the trench. During the night the Federals were busy "reversing" a portion of the trench. By morning the trench faced south toward the Confederate main line.

Erected by Cobb County 2008



 
Notes:

Cobb County Historic Preservation Commission - Source Information

 

033-CC10