Historic Markers Across Georgia



Peters-Davenport House-Cobb County



Marker ID: Cobb 
Location: near the intersection of Mars Hill Church Rd. and Rose Arbor Dr. in Acworth.
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 34° 02.007    W 084° 41.333
  34.033450    -84.688883
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4GND
Peters-Davenport House-Cobb County Marker  



Text:

circa 1838
Dr. James Peters built his family´s homestead here. The original house was a very early version of a two-room frame structure with two doors and two chimneys. Outbuildings included a barn, well, privy, and summer kitchen. The original rooms had 10" wide, hand-planed boards on the walls and ceilings and 6" wide pine plank flooring secured with cut or hand-wrought nails.

Significant Civil War military events transpired at the house and in the immediate vicinity in 1864. General Oliver O. Howard, Commander of the 4th Army Corps (Federal) made his headquarters in the house from June 6-10, 1864. An attempt to burn the house was made soon after the Federal departure but the timely arrival of a neighbor saved it from destruction.



 

 

033-CC11