Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgia Military Institute 1851 ~ 1864



Marker ID: Cobb 
Location: 500 Powder Springs Street at the northeast edge of the Hilton Conference Center parking lot, Marietta, GA.
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 56.590    W 084° 33.131
  33.94316666    -84.55218333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9AA0
Georgia Military Institute 1851 ~ 1864 Marker  



Text:

Opened in 1851 on a 110-acre campus, the Institute had a 4-year curriculum modeled after West Point. The cadet lifestyle was strict. Students attended classes all day followed by an hour-long drill, dress parades at sunset and evenings spent studying. Townspeople proudly supported the Institute and attended its functions. Cadets came from at least nine states and graduates included Major General Pierce M. B. Young, CSA. Although increased income from the school's growth never kept pace with expenses, its financial future improved after the State acquired it in 1858. In the early 1860s cadets entered the military after reaching age 18, but in May 1864 all those remaining received their marching orders. After their departure, the school's buildings were used in turn as a hospital for both sides and as a Federal headquarters and barracks before being destroyed in November. Only the adjoining private residence of the first superintendent, Col. Arnoldus V. Brumby, now called Brumby Hall, was spared. The cadets served at various locations in Georgia, then when the war ended in May 1865 they returned home as civilians. Despite much interest, efforts to reestablish the school in the following decade were unsuccessful, mainly due to lack of funds.

Cobb County- 2009



 

Georgia Military Institute 1851 ~ 1864

Notes:

The New Georgia Encyclopedia - Georgia Military Institute

Wikipedia - Georgia Military Institute

A Brief History of the Georgia Military Institute and a Study of Its' Uniform 1851-1864 by Vaughan, David Wynn

Cobb County Historic Preservation Commission - Source Information

 

033-CC26