Historic Markers Across Georgia



Clarkdale Historic District c.1931



Marker ID: Cobb 
Location: Newark Ave at Newark Street across from the old mill, Clarkdale, GA
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 49.915    W 084° 39.300
  33.83191666    -84.655
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9A9T
Clarkdale Historic District c.1931 Marker  



Text:

Clarkdale is significant as an intact industrial village, locally called a mill village. Built according to a master plan for the employees of Clark Thread Company, it evolved into a self-contained community with commercial, social and recreational facilities onsite or nearby. The homes featured modern conveniences like electricity and indoor plumbing. Automobile garages were added in 1935. While the company owned and maintained the houses, local businesses were privately owned and they thrived under the patronage of Clarkdale residents. After layoffs at the mill in the late 1950s-early 60s businesses started to close, eventually leaving only the post office and two churches. The company sold the houses in 1966 giving current residents the first option to buy them, and most took advantage of the opportunity.

Cobb County - 2009



 

Clarkdale Historic District c.1931

Notes:

Cobb County Historic Preservation Commission - Source Information

 

033-CC29