Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of the Dickson House - June 15, 1864



Marker ID: Cobb 
Location: West side of Acworth Due West, north of the intersection of Due West - Kennesaw Due West and Acworth Due West.
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 58.602    W 084° 40.160
  33.9767    -84.66933
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3ZKY
Site of the Dickson House - June 15, 1864 Marker  



Text:

Late in the day General Butterfield´s division of the Federal XX Army Corps [20th A.C.] fought past the Dickson House intending to assault the Confederate entrenchments at Gilgal Church, 300 yards south of this point near the intersection of Acworth-Due West and Kennesaw-Due West roads. High ground was gained 50 yards north of the roads, but the assault on the defenses was not made due to darkness and Confederate resistance. In this action the house was heavily damaged by artillery and rifle fire but remained standing. Referred to ad the "Dixon House" in 1864 military maps, it served as headquarters for General Joseph Hooker on June 17, 1864.



 
Notes:

Cobb County Historic Preservation Commission - Source Information

 

033-CC3