Historic Markers Across Georgia



Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church c. 1866



Marker ID: Cobb 
Location: 4775 North Church Lane at Collins Springs Lane
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 50.208    W 084° 28.876
  33.8368    -84.48126666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9A9M
Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church c. 1866 Marker  



Text:

Founded circa 1850, the original church was destroyed in 1864 by the Federal Army and rebuilt after the Civil War. The church, cemetery and nearby spring carry the name of James A. Collins, an Atlanta pioneer, merchant and local landowner. His promise made before his death in 1862 was fulfilled in 1870 when Collins' daughter transferred title to two acres of surrounding land to the church. The building, which began as a one-room weatherboard structure supported by stacked stone pillars and hand-hewn beams, was modernized with the installation of plumbing in the 1950s and a vestibule and brick veneer in the 1960s. In its heyday, the church had dozens of members, with multiple generations attending services here. But with increased commercial development in the area and a declining membership, the congregation disbanded in 2001.

Cobb County Historic Marker Project - 2009



 

Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church c. 1866

Notes:

Cobb County Historic Preservation Commission - Source Information

now the Atlanta Freethought Society

 

033-CC30