Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Dickson House



Marker ID: Cobb 
Location: Behind 1792 County Services Parkway, Marietta
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 54.515    W 084° 35.143
  33.908583    -84.585717
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WM44ZQ
Historic Dickson House  Marker  



Text:

Historic Dickson House
c. 1841


Facing demolition, this house was relocated here in 2005 from its original site on the battlefield at Gilgal Church in west Cobb County. On 1864 military maps, it was referred to as the "Dixon House". The house was damaged by artillery and rifle fire during the battle on June 15, 1864. General Daniel Butterfield´s Federal division fought past this house intending to attack southern defenses at the Due West crossroads. The assault failed due to approaching darkness and Confederate resistance. General Joseph Hooker occupied the Dickson House as headquarters on June 17, 1864.

Erected by Cobb County 2008



 
Notes:

Cobb County Historic Preservation Commission - Source Information

 

033-CC6