Historic Markers Across Georgia



Main Confederate Battle Line



Marker ID: Cobb 
Location: 825 Frank Kirk Road
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 58.431    W 084° 38.445
  33.97385    -84.64075
Waymark: WM44ZV
Main Confederate Battle Line  Marker  



Text:

Main Confederate Battle Line
June 1 - 17, 1864

About a hundred yards southeast of this marker is the remnant of a 15 mile line of Confederate fortifications. These infantry trenches were occupied until June 17th by the Army of Mississippi, a unit within the Confederate Army of Tennessee, Gen. Leonidas Polk commanding. An additional trace of these entrenchments may also be seen close to this marker, on the west side of the nearby road. On June 15th, Polk´s left flank linked with Hardee´s Confederate corps at today´s junction of Hickory View Court and Kennesaw-Due West Road. By June 17th the Army of Mississippi had shifted east connecting with Hood´s corps near New Salem Road.

Erected by Cobb County 2008



 
Notes:

Cobb County Historic Preservation Commission - Source Information

 

033-CC7