Historic Markers Across Georgia



Nesbitt-Union Chapel



Marker ID: Cobb 
Location: Powder Springs Road opposite Chapel Drive (by CVS)
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 55.264    W 084° 34.753
  33.92106666    -84.57921666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6KJW
Nesbitt-Union Chapel  Marker  



Text:

Nesbitt-Union Chapel Ruins
c. 1880

In 1886, Mr. & Mrs. R.T. Nesbitt sold Union Chapel to the church´s trustees. The deed specified it was to be used by all Christian denominations and by schools and agricultural societies. As this was a rural community, various clergymen preached here on a rotating schedule. The stone building, which featured double-hung Gothic arch-styled windows, was sustained by donations and fundraisers and was still in use in the 1910s. The chapel eventually fell into a state of ruins with three of four walls and roof that had collapsed. Chapels such as this were important social as well as religious gathering places for local residents before radio, television and broad newspaper coverage of events.

Erected by Cobb County 2008



 
Nesbitt-Union Chapel Ruins c.1880
Nesbitt-Union Chapel

Notes:

Friends of Nesbitt/Union Chapel, Inc.


Cobb County Historic Preservation Commission - Source Information

 

033-CC9