Historic Markers Across Georgia



Kolb House



Marker ID: NPS 
Location: near the intersection of Powder Springs Rd SW (Georgia Route 360) and Callaway Rd SW, Marietta, GA
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 54.617    W 084° 35.82
  33.91028333    -84.597
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMA3AC
 



Text:

Kolb House
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park


This hewn log house, built about 1836 by a pioneer settler, Peter Valentine Kolb, is the only surviving structure of about a dozen farms, mills and churches existing within the park at the time of the Civil War. The house sustained light damage during the battle of Kolb's Farm, June 22, 1864. It was possibly the headquarters of Union Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker. Altered considerably following the war, the Kolb House was restored to its historic appearance in 1964. It is a government quarters and is not open to the public.



 
Notes:

Civil War in Georgia - Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
About North Georgia – The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Wikipedia - Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
New Georgia Encyclopedia: Battle of Kennesaw Mountain

 

033-KS18