Historic Markers Across Georgia



Coffee County



Marker ID: GHM 034-1A
Location: Courthouse in Douglas
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 31° 30.516    W 082° 51.03
  31.5086    -82.8505
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMC12V
Coffee County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Coffee county was created by an act of the Georgia legislature Feb. 9, 1854, and made up of portions of Clinch, Ware, Irwin and Telfair counties. Named for Gen. John Coffee, of Telfair county, noted as an Indian fighter, planter and Congressman. First county officers were B.H. Tanner, Sheriff; Whittington S. Moore, Clerk of Superior and Inferior Courts; Thomas Mobley, Ordinary; John W. Matchet, Tax Receiver; James R. Smith, Tax Collector; Sim Parker, Coroner, and Mr. Carver, Surveyor. First Inferior Court Justices were mark Lott Jr., Joel Lott, Alexander Mobley, Hardy Hall and Elijah Pickren.

GHM 034-1A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Coffee County Courthouse
Coffee County
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

Note: There are two historical markers noting the creation of Coffee County at the courthouse. Both were erected in 1954 and have similar text, though marker 034-1A lists the five men who served as first inferior court justices, while marker 034-1B omits that information. Otherwise, it is unclear why two separate markers were prepared.

 

034-1A