Historic Markers Across Georgia



Coffee County



Marker ID: GHM 034-1B
Location: Courthouse in Douglas
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 31° 30.51    W 082° 51.024
  31.5085    -82.8504
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMC12W
Coffee County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 9, 1854, is named for Gen. John Coffee who served in the Indian Wars and was a Member of Congress in 1833-36. He built the ´Old Coffee road,´ which forms part of the border between Berrien and Coffee Counties, over which to transport troops and supplies to Florida. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff B.H. Tanner, Ordinary Thomas Mobley, Clerk of Superior and Inferior Courts Whittington Moore, Tax Receiver John W. Machet, Tax Collector James R. Smith, Coroner Sim Parker and Surveyor Carver

GHM 034-1B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Coffee County Courthouse
Coffee County
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

Note: There are two historical markers noting the creation of Coffee County at the courthouse. Both were erected in 1954 and have similar text, though marker 034-1A lists the five men who served as first inferior court justices, while marker 034-1B omits that information. Otherwise, it is unclear why two separate markers were prepared.

 

034-1B