Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Coffee Road



Marker ID: GHM 034-2
Location: US 319 near Ben Hill County line on road to Fussell Cemetery
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 31° 45.744    W 082° 59.664
  31.7624    -82.9944
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The highway leading southward is the Old Coffee Road, a pioneer vehicular and postal route of South Georgia. Beginning at the Ocmulgee River, two miles to the north, it ran some 120 miles via today´s Lax, Nashville, Cecil, Barwick, and Thomasville to the Florida Line above Tallahassee. The thoroughfare was opened by order of the State in 1823 under the superintendence of Gen. John Coffee and Thomas Swain. The General Assembly directed that the highway begin at the Alapaha River to the southwestward, but this stretch from the Ocmulgee has always been considered a part of the old road.

GHM 034-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION



 

 

034-2