Historic Markers Across Georgia



Raymond-Richardson Aviation School



Marker ID: GHS 34-1
Location: Douglas-Coffee County Veterans Park, US 441/221 S in Douglas
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 31° 28.782    W 082° 51.084
  31.4797    -82.8514
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBRYZ
Raymond-Richardson Aviation School  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Wesley Raymond, Robert Richardson and others founded a school here in 1939 to teach basic flight skills to college students. With the start of World War II, the school became the 63rd Flight Training Detachment Airbase and provided primary flight training for several thousand young men. In addition to working clerical and food preparation jobs, many local women served as civilian base dispatchers and aircraft mechanics. Although officially closed in 1944, the airstrip and hangers have continued in use as a municipal airport and the barracks and administration buildings have seen a wide variety of community uses.

2000.3 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society,
Wiregrass Historical Society and the City of Douglas 34-1




Raymond-Richardson Aviation School
Photo by Ken Moser



 

034-HS1