Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Birthplace of the Smyrna Baptist Association



Marker ID: GHS 34-2
Location: at church, 2212 Sand Hill Church Rd, Douglas
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 31° 31.746    W 082° 44.55
  31.5291    -82.7425
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMC131
Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Birthplace of the Smyrna Baptist Association  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This church was organized in 1857. The first sanctuary, made of logs, was situated near the still-present old well. A number of Coffee County´s prominent citizens were early members of the church and are buried within the cemetery, including William Dent, Daniel Gaskins, Sr., Franklin Ward and Thomas H. Dent. In 1875, the church became the founding location of the Smyrna Baptist Association, currently comprised of thirty-nine churches. The existing sanctuary was constructed c.1905. The Sunday School rooms were moved on site and attached to the sanctuary in 1954.

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church.
2000.2 34-2



Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church
Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Birthplace of the Smyrna Baptist Association
Photo by Ken Moser



 

034-HS2