Historic Markers Across Georgia



Colquitt County



Marker ID: GHM 035-1
Location: Courthouse in Moultrie
County: Colquitt
Coordinates: N 31° 10.778    W 083° 47.319
  31.179633    -83.78865
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAHER
Colquitt County  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 25, 1856, is named for Hon. Walter T. Colquitt who had recently died. A famous lawyer and Methodist preacher, he served in Congress in 1839-40 and 1842-43, and in the Senate from 1843 to ´48. ´As an advocate Judge Colquitt stood alone in Georgia.´ Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Jacob F. Reichert, Clerk of Superior Court William McLeod, Ordinary Hardy Chastain, Tax Receiver John A. Alderman, Tax Collector Job Turner, Coroner Elijah Tillman and Surveyor Amos Turner.

GHM 035-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Colquitt County Courthouse
Colquitt County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

035-1