Historic Markers Across Georgia



Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery (Side 1)



Marker ID: SCV 
Location: At church just E of Ga 33 on Greenfield Ch Rd S of Moultrie
County: Colquitt
Coordinates: N 31° 5.046    W 083° 45.9
  31.0841    -83.765
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAJHV
Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery (Side 1) Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This site, along with 19,600 acres, was purchased through a state land lottery, September, 1843-44, by Rev. Eli Graves, formerly of Vermont. In March, 1848, all was sold to his brother, Presbyterian pastor, Rev. Joel S. Graves. In 1850, using handmade bricks from a nearby clay pit, Rev. Graves built the area´s first brick structure, a church with annex for the area´s first "common" school. The first teacher was Ruth Graves and in February, 1861, Roxanne Graves became the second. The Post Office was at Greenfield June 26, 1856-1883. Rev. Graves brought industry to the thriving community by building a three-story building on Sloan Creek with a grist mill, general store, steam-powered wool carding factory and "bucket shop." During the War Between the Strates, Rev. Graves´ bucket and barrel factory supplied a Confederate contract. The church served as a recruiting center and field hospital from 1863 to war´s end under the care of Methodist minister and former Kentucky legislator, Rev./Dr. Baker E. Watkins and his assistant, Dr. Samuel Hart of Americus, GA. Rev./Dr. Watkins and Rev. Flournoy Clark represented Colquitt County at the Constitutional Convention in November of 1865. Rev./Dr. Watkins was elected first County School Commissioner in 18762 and served in this capacity until his death in 1876.

(Continued on other side)

MOULTRIE S.C.V. CAMP NO. 674 - 1996




Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery (Side 1)
Photo by Ken Moser



 

035-A2