Historic Markers Across Georgia



Columbia County



Marker ID: GHM 036-4
Location: Courthouse in Appling
County: Columbia
Coordinates: N 33° 32.782    W 082° 18.972
  33.546366    -82.3162
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM514N
Columbia County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Columbia County, named for Christopher Columubus, was created by Act of Dec. 10, 1790 from Richmond County. Originally, it contained parts of McDuffie and Warren Counties. Settled by Quakers before the Revolution, it has been the home of many prominent Georgians. Here were Carmel Academy and Kiokee Baptist Church, ´Mother Church´ of Baptists in Georgia. First officers of Columbia County, commission Dec. 15, 1790, were: John Pearre, Coroner; John Walton, Surveyor; Daniel Marshall, Tax Col.; Anderson Crawford, Tax Rec.; Edmund B. Jenkins, Sheriff.

GHM 036-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

036-4